Disclosure: We may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
When planning to get a new bike, your height and size are essential to consider for safety and comfort. Some people have the wrong impression that the taller a person is, the higher their engine’s cc should be. That is not the case since cc is only a measure of the displacement of the bike’s engine and is not related to how tall a person should be when riding a specific engine size of a dirt bike.
So to answer the question, how tall should you be to ride a 250f Dirt Bikes? There is no specific height requirement for a person to ride a 250f dirt bike. The best way to know if you are fit for a 250f Dirt Bike is to sit on it where both of your feet, specifically the forefoot, can touch the ground.
The issue is that some people may have longer legs or longer upper bodies, disregarding their heights. For example, a 5’6” person may have shorter legs than a 5’4” person who is long-legged.
How to Choose the Right Dirt Bike
Consider the following factors when choosing a Dirt Bike:
- Reason. Are you purchasing a dirt bike to take it on a race track, on a long road trip, or on an adventure off-road? To determine the size, you should know your purpose when using a dirt bike. When using it for racing, there are different engine displacements categories. When using it off-road, purchasing a bike with sufficient power is essential to overcome steep obstacles.
- Skill and Experience. Dirt bikes are not the same as road bikes. They are generally high because they have extended ground clearance with a firm suspension that can absorb jumps and a feature that allows wider steering. If it is your first time to ride a bike, it’s better to choose a 100 to 150cc range bike with automatic features that are easier to maneuver. However, for experienced bikers who have become interested in dirt bikes, it is still advisable to choose a maximum of 250cc bike to get used to it first.
- Two-stroke vs. Four-stroke. Will you choose a two-stroke bike or a four-stroke bike? In terms of power, two-stroke bikes bang hard and quick, leaving an intense effect on the rider. On the other hand, Four-stroke bikes run smoother and give their riders the option on how they want to start the bike. When it comes to repairs, the two-stroke has the upper hand because of its simple design compared to a four-stroke that is composed of more complex parts. Thus, repairing a two-stroke bike will save you more money than maintaining a four-stroke bike.
- Dealers. Are businesses that sell dirt bikes near you? Local dealers can be a huge factor when purchasing a bike because, at some point, you will need to change some parts of the bike and ask for services or assistance from technical experts to fix minor or major problems with your bike. It is better to shop your bike in person than to ship it from someplace far away.
- Time. Consider the time you will spend on biking. If you plan to use your bike most of the time, then settle for what is best for you. On the other side, you may not need the best-featured bike if you plan to use it only for emergency purposes.
- Mechanical Skills. It is advisable to buy a new bike if you are not confident in your mechanical skills to repair your bike when technical problems arise. There are many cheap models out there, but you should know that they are reasonable for some reason.
- Your Size. Size is a significant factor that can affect your riding experience using dirt bikes. A bike can be too small for you if both your feet are attached flat on the ground when riding the bike. But if you have to tiptoe just to keep your balance, the bike might also be too tall for you. If your weight is less than 150 pounds, you might have a hard time controlling a bike that is more than a 250cc. If you are heavyweight, a 450cc dirt bike will have just the right amount of suspension to carry your weight.
How to Choose the Right Sized Dirt Bike
- Choose the Right Seat Height for your Height. As mentioned earlier, some people may have longer legs than others regardless of their heights. The following are not exact but are only nearly precise height measurements that will give you an idea of what size of the bike could fit you. Remember that the only way to know the exact size is to sit on the bike itself.
|182 cm||95.25cm minimum|
|178 cm||88.9cm – 99cm|
|172 cm||86.36cm- 96.5cm|
- Note: If you can balance your bike without any difficulty and can keep your balance when starting and stopping it, then it means that the seat height is perfect for you.
How to Change the Seat Height on a Dirt Bike
If with much effort you are not able to find the perfect fit dirt bike for you, yet the seat height is an issue, then here are solutions to solve this problem. They may not be the ideal solutions, but they may come in handy.
- In lowering the dirt bike, you have to take away the seat’s foam or make holes on it to make the seat sink an inch or more. Alternatively, you could change your foam to a softer one.
- In raising the dirt bike, the most straightforward modification is to buy a taller seat foam that can give you extra inches without having to change the steering system of the bike. But if you have no other option than this, you can set the sag of the rear suspension to the highest setting available, but this may change the steering system of your dirt bike.
How to Know What Engine Size Fits You
- 12-14-year-old bikers – An electric bike is the best choice for these kids because of its automated features. But note that some bikes have a weight limit of 175lbs in maximum. Moreover, these kids can also go for a 150cc four-stroke bike.
- 15-17-year-old bikers – For young beginners who are planning on dirt biking, using a 125cc 2-strokes bike or 150cc 4-strokes is suggested.
- Adults – If you are a beginner, it is highly advisable to use first an electric dirt bike or go for a 250cc maximum 4-stroke dirt bike. But if you are an experienced rider, you can choose whatever engine size you like, even a 450cc bike.
One of the best moto-cross helmets with a MIPS protection system that reduces rotational forces to the head is the Carbon Squadra Team Helmet-Orange-S (View on Amazon). It is made up of a carbon composite shell, making it the lightest helmet ever made. Plus, this helmet allows “maximum cool air induction” and has heat dissipating features. So, you’ve got yourself an extra ventilated, featherweight helmet.
A-10 Full Chest Protector (View on Amazon) is proven to have structural strength with its contoured and outer-skeletal design, and a feature that allows maximum airflow. Plus, It’s polymer plates are CE Certified that can resist impact. Its features also include having the ability to absorb shock and distribute forces of impact. Even with its structural strength, it is still flexible to use.
Off-Road Upper and Lower Body Combo
This upper and lower body combo (view on Amazon) provides excellent durability and comfort. For kids aged 3-12, this armor has great impact resistance for safety and is breathable. They can use it for motocross, skateboarding, skiing, and other outdoor sports.
Getting the right size bike for you is essential since it’s a significant investment. Know the right seat height for you, and remember it’s better always to have a personal feel of the bike. Don’t get a bike that is too powerful as you may not enjoy the experience. Purchase a bike that you can manage, and don’t forget to wear the proper gear to ensure comfort. So, keep your adrenaline up and don’t think twice in starting that engine.