There’s nothing quite like the feeling of driving your Honda Recon through challenging terrain, thick mud, rough trails, and rocky pathways, all while enjoying the crisp, fresh air. With the Honda Recon 250, you’ll be driving at speeds you didn’t expect before. You may be wondering how fast you can go.
What is the Honda Recon 250’s top speed? The top speed of the Honda Recon 250 is 45 mph. This rugged and tough machine will get you where you need to go and is a reliable vehicle for anyone who loves to explore the outdoors.
Although the top speed is 45 mph, some have reported a bit higher, such as 46, 47, and even a max speed of 50 mph. With proper maintenance, Your Honda Recon should drive smooth and may surpass the 45 mph mark.
So what makes this monster of a machine do what it does? To answer that question, we will have to delve deeper into the details and see what makes this machine reach its top speed. Let’s get down into the specifics and learn more about the specs that make this a truly great ATV.
Honda Recon 250 Specs
- TRX250 TE/TM – Honda Recon models identify by two-letter codes that pertain to what type of two-wheeler drive it is and the transmission type it has. If the ATV has a TM code to it, it means that it’s a two-wheel drive with a manual shift, while the TE code means that it’s on electric shift.
- Engine – The Honda Recon 250 is powered by a 229cc air-cooled OHV longitudinally mounted single-cylinder four-stroke engine, which brings power in a compact size. The induction has a 22mm carburetor (view on Amazon) while the bore and stroke are 68.5mm x 62.2mm. The starter is quick and easy, electric with auxiliary recoil, and a push of a button is all you need to begin your next adventure.
- Transmission – It also has an automatic clutch with a five-speed transmission, which also has a reverse feature that allows for quick and easy changes while maneuvering through your paths.
- Driveline – The direct rear driveshaft helps bring the power from the engine towards the wheels and bring you forward to your destination.
- Suspension – You can expect a relatively comfortable ride with the front suspension, which is an Independent double-wishbone that gives 5.1 inches of travel. In comparison, the back suspension is a swing arm with a single shock and give 4.9 inches of travel. This allows for some serious maneuvers when out and about in the untamed wilderness.
- Brakes – Safety is taken into account with Front Brakes, which uses a dual-sealed hydraulic drum and rear breaks, a single sealed mechanical drum. Control your stops and turns with ease with these set of breaks.
Honda Recon 250 Dimensions
- The Honda Recon 250 has a length of 75 inches and a width of 40.7 inches, making it more compact than the competition without impacting performance.
- The Honda Recons wheelbase measurement is 44.5 inches helps maintain sturdiness.
- A seat height of 31.2 inches allows you to see ahead of you and all around.
- The ground clearance of 6 inches enables you to travel through the roughest terrain.
- A turning radius of 8.5 feet makes it very easy to handle and maneuver.
Honda Recon 250 Weight
A manual shift Honda Recon 250 complete with all standard equipment and required fluids, including a full tank of gas, has a curb weight of 434 pounds. An electric shift Honda Recon 250 weighs around 440 pounds.
Check out this review of the 2020 Honda Recon by Techy Agent.
Innovations With the Latest Models
A product launched in 1997, the Honda Recon 250, has undergone several changes over the years. Its latest product offering boasts of a backup recoil starting system allows you to use your ATV even in cold weather conditions. Newer models also feature a more advanced reverse mechanism lever and parking brake lever allowing for more comfortable and intuitive use.
For more comfort when driving your Honda Recon 250 at its top speed, newer versions are uniquely designed with floorboards to grip the footrest without getting dirty from mud and debris along the way. Another addition to Honda Recon is the shaft drive, which provides easy maintenance, minimizing the need for lubrication or adjustments while you are out on the trail.
Honda Recon 250 Tires and Racks
The front tires, which are 22×7-11 and the rear tires, which can range from 22 x10-9, allow for a solid grip while traversing all sorts of terrain, whether it be trees or underbrush, jutting rocks or any manner of road or terrain difficulty.
And for the avid outdoorsy person with many other tools, the Honda Recon 250 comes with a front rack capacity of 33 pounds and an even bigger rear rack capacity of 66 pounds. This allows for ample carrying space and the ability for all sorts of gear, whether camping, fishing, hunting, or a combination of all three.
How to Make a Honda Recon 250 Faster?
Reaching the Honda TRX 250 top speed may be the main priority for many thrill-seekers out there. To do that, make sure that you break it incorrectly once you get your Honda Recon 250, and always make sure that the engine is in top form, complete with all the needed fluids.
One main culprit why your ATV might be slowing down could be traced back to how worn your tires are. Compared to newer tires, old tires will have less grip on the road, especially those with rougher terrains. One way to identify if the problem is within your tires is to stick a quarter between the treads. If your quarter goes deep, then the problem isn’t in tour tires. However, if the opposite happens and the treads do show signs of wear and tear, then that’s your signal to replace them. With this step, you can significantly improve and get back to your ideal Honda Recon 250 Top Speed.
These durable tires by WANDA Libre Trailer Parts (view on Amazon) will provide your Honda Recon 250 with good traction over rough terrain, and their heavy 6 ply rated nylon resists punctures and abrasions.
Another thing that you should look into is if you have a speed or rev limiter installed in your ATV. You can verify this by revving your machine as much as you can. If you observe a distinct fluttering sound, then there’s a possibility that your quad is installed with a rev limiter, which impedes you from reaching top speeds.
For example, a TRX250 model usually has a Honda Recon TRX 250 top speed of about 50 to 51 miles per hour. However, if one or two of these factors are present, the ATV might only run for around 20 miles per hour.
Keep your ATV well maintained with the Honda Recon ATV Maintenance Kit (view on Amazon), which comes with 2 Quarts of Honda GN4 10W-30, an air filter, spark plug, convenient funnel, and crush washer.
Here’s a video of the Honda Recon in action, demonstrating its top speed.
Honda Recon 250 accessories
To enjoy the best features that your Honda Recon 250 has to offer, you might want to look at the possible installations, such as:
- Plow and Mounting
- Farm accessories such as plows, spreaders, sprayers, sleds, and lift systems
- Seat cover: Create unique combinations for your ATV’s look with customizable seat covers
- Camping accessories and equipment: As a fan of the great outdoors, lug on some camping accessories such as tents, sleeping bags, outdoor cooking, and outdoor lighting accessories to complete your great adventure.
- Lift kits (view on Amazon): Having a lift kit will lift the front and rear of your ATV to about 2”, giving you with additional ground clearance. This is good if you want to protect your tires from rubbing your fenders.
Conclusion – Honda Recon Top Speed
The Honda Recon top speed is 45-50 mph. If you’re looking for a fun machine that will also be a reliable pack mule of sorts, check out the Honda Recon 250. It can get you and your equipment through the untamed wilderness or a quick ride to help you explore the great outdoors in speed and safety.