More than a decade ago, when mainstream ATV sales were low, Coolster ATVs were able to pull through. These Chinese quads featured rear racks, versatile tire tread patterns, and came with detailed operating instructions explaining the setup and use of safety features. These inexpensive behemoths handled themselves reasonably well in different terrain types and were perfect regardless of the rider’s operating condition.
Eventually, the Coolster brand became one of the leaders in youth ATVs, and a parent’s answered prayer. Is the Coolster ATV well worth its price? You’ll know with the help of this article.
The Coolster ATV provides its consumers with a brilliant mix of sport and utility that is second to none. It has all the safety features that any parent could ask for – foot brakes, a throttle governor, a speed limiter, and a remote kill switch.
Is the Coolster ATV a field riding machine well worth its price? Is it ideal for learning and general fun? This buyer’s guide will let you in on Coolster ATV specs, give you tips, and answer these questions (and many more) for you.
What is a Coolster ATV?
The Coolster ATV is a Chinese quad distributed in the U.S. by several companies, including the ATV Wholesale Outlet in California by Doug Stabler.
Along with other Chinese ATV brands, the Coolster rose to fame in 2006 and became so successful, along with other Chinese quads, that the House of Representatives had to pass a bill (H.R. Bill 4040) restricting manufacture, sale, and importation of foreign three-wheeled ATCs into the country.
There are 14 models with different displacements sold in the U.S. since its distribution began in 2002.
The Coolster 110cc ATV is a fully automatic mini-size ATV powered by a reliable four-stroke, air-cooled engine. The vehicle features robust double a-arms, shock-absorbent suspensions, and easy handling –perfect for beginners and younger riders wanting to have some off-road fun!
The Coolster 125cc ATV has a slightly more substantial displacement and is easy to maneuver. The Coolster 150cc ATV features an automatic CVT transmission with reverse, big tires, and full coil-over suspension. It has other extras included and comes in several colors.
What makes the Coolster ATV appealing is its affordable nature. Parts are always available, and there are lots of model options. Replacement parts are a fraction of the cost of mainstream parts.
Customer service is exceptional, giving consumers their peace of mind when making their purchase.
Coolster ATV Specs & Features
There are about 14 different Coolster ATVs distributed in the U.S. The table below will show you all the important specs of Coolster ATVs (110cc to 150cc models):
|Engine Type:||Single cylinder, 4-stroke||Single cylinder, 4-stroke, air-cooled||Single cylinder, 4-stroke, air-cooled|
|Max Torque:||6.9N.m/6,000 RPM||3125A2: 8.5.N.m/5,000 RPM|
the rest: 6.9.N.m/6,000 RPM
|Max Power:||4.7kW/8,500 RPM||3125A2: 5.8kW/7,500 RPM|
the rest: 5.5kW/8,500 RPM
|Bore Stroke:||52.4 x 49.5mm||52.4 x 55.5mm||57.4 x 57.8mm|
|Battery:||12V, 4Ah||12V, 5Ah||12V, 9Ah|
|Transmission:||Chain, rear wheel drive;|
|Chain, rear wheel drive||Chain, rear wheel drive|
|Brakes Front/Rear:||Hub/hydraulic disc;|
3050B: Drum/hydraulic disc
|Hub/hydraulic disc||Hub/hydraulic disc|
|Tires Front/Rear:||16 x 8-7 /16 x 8-7;|
3050C: 145/70-6 145/70-6
|3125A2: 16 x 8.0-7 /18 x 9.50-8|
the rest: 19 x 7.00 – 8 / 18 x 9.50 – 8 (3125CX-3 has aluminum rims)
|23 x 7 – 10 / 22 x 10 – 10|
|Gross Weight:||3050D: 98 kg.|
the rest: 69.85 kg.
|3125A2: 99 kg.|
3125XR8-U: 98 kg.
the rest: 65 kg.
|3150CXC: 160 kg.|
the rest: 164 kg.
|the rest: 855mm|
|ATV-3150CXC: 930mm/795mm; 1215mm|
|Dimensions:||3050B: 1,360 x 800 x 870mm|
3050C: 1230 x 740 x 800mm
3050D: 1,465 x 920x 925mm
|3125A2: 1560 x 960 x 950mm|
3125XR8-U: 1465 x 920 x 925mm
the rest: 1450 x 970 x 990mm
|3150CXC: 1865 x 1100x 1160mm|
the rest: 1524 x 812.8 x 762 mm
|Height to Seat:||3050B: 440mm|
the rest: 710mm
the rest: 620mm
|Min. Ground Clearance:||3050B: 90mm|
the rest: 70mm
the rest: 140mm
the rest: 165mm
|Colors||Red, Blue, Green, Military Green, Army Pink, Spider Black, Spider Red, Spider Blue, Black, Red, Blue, Army Green||Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Black, Army Purple, Army Pink, Army Green, Army Black||Red, Orange, Green, Blue, Black, Desert Sand, Army Green, Army Black|
Before You Take the Plunge
The Coolster brand sells a wide variety of vehicles, which can get anyone quite flustered, so you mustn’t make your purchase blindly. Here are a few essentials that you need to do before buying a Coolster ATV.
- Research – Read up on your quad of choice. Compare prices from different distributors. Check specs and features. More importantly, don’t forget to look into forums and myth busters.
- Check the engine – Choose an engine size based on rider age, purpose, and competency level. 50-110cc versions are perfect for children, 125-150cc engines give enough power for teenagers, while the 1100cc range is ideal for adrenaline seekers.
- Select the right transmission – Similar to engine displacement, choosing manual over automatic (and vice-versa) depends on the driver’s needs and age. Automatic is much easier to navigate as it adjusts its gears according to your speed and incline and is perfect for kids. Manual is better suited for advanced riders who prefer control over ease.
- Make sure to be safe – Safety features are a must if you want to keep your riding experience fun. Some examples of proper precautionary measures include a brake wear indicator and a speed limiter, among others.
- Choose a design that fits you – Make sure the appearance of the ATV suits you or the person you’re giving it. If you’re giving the Coolster to your 11-year old, the design and color scheme of the bike should be friendlier. Or better, take them along to the market and allow them to pick what they find appealing.
A Quick Study
Since research is the first thing you need to tick off your checklist, let me help you get started with helpful information below for each cc offering that Coolster has.
Coolster 110cc ATV reviews
The Coolster 110cc doesn’t restrict essential features and is an excellent quad for kids 7-11 years of age. Its gas engine still gives youngsters the real driving experience, and its high-quality frame is strong and sturdy. The top speed of a Coolster 110cc 3050c is 20 mph with 6.2 horsepower.
Additionally, this vehicle comes with a throttle governor that allows parents to place a cap on the maximum speed, and a remote-control kill switch that stops the ATV at any time adults sense danger. The 3050D 110cc model, in particular, features a wide footrest which keeps feet secure and away from touching the tires.
Coolster 125cc ATV review
The Coolster 125cc is a dependable practice quad to help kids learn how to ride ATVs, and many are impressed with its safety features. First, this kart has a wide footrest with a non-slip surface, lots of lighting, and a sturdy front bumper. Its speed controller enables the rider or parent to adjust the speed to as low as 5mph.
The kill switch is easy to reach on the dashboard and allows the rider to turn the engine off with push-button ease. It has an automatic transmission with reverse and a kick-start feature that makes it easy to turn the engine on and off.
Coolster 150cc ATV reviews
The Coolster 150cc (3150DX-2) ATV has a top speed of 58 mph – just the right amount of momentum that will not intimidate the experienced rider. It comes with an electric start system and an automatic transmission with reverse gears.
Adults never have to worry about potential damage to the interior since the engine is air-cooled, which prevents it from overheating. This four-wheeler is perfect on off-road surfaces, around tracks or through the woods, and is easy to park up and maneuver.
Coolster ATV Hitches
Although Coolster ATVs are superb, inexpensive alternatives to more popular brands, you should carefully assess purchasing these off-brand bikes based on your intended use and mechanical knowledge.
Coolster engines are usually an offshoot of older Japanese manufacturers’ tooling and design, with the internals redesigned specifically to the importers’ specifications. That said, the buyer must have a decent working knowledge of its different technicalities such as fuel, air, ignition systems, proper brake-system maintenance, and sound problem-solving skills.
Based on Coolster ATV reviews, you also have to note that it is not a high-performance machine. Enthusiasts would not even remotely consider it for competition or aggressive riding. Nor is it designed for intense abuse such as big throttle jumps, motocross, or mudding.
Most Coolster ATVs sell through online storefronts that mainly distribute machines for customer pickup. It is typically not dealer prepped, meaning you will be solely responsible for doing its proper setup and break-in. Sometimes, this ATV cannot be bought through financing or carried on a credit card, which requires consumers to have sufficient funding to purchase it outright.
For the Noob
- What is the fastest speed of a Coolster ATV? On average, a Coolster 110cc tops out at 12 mph without a transmission but can add 23 mph more with a five-speed transmission. The Coolster 125cc ATV top speed is 25 mph but can get up to 40 mph with mods. For the 150cc model, the max speed is 58 mph.
- How can I make my Coolster ATV faster? There are several things that you can do to increase your top speed and power. One is to use a higher grade fuel (in moderation). Another is to increase airflow. You may also want to reduce body weight by taking off unnecessary parts and replacing shocks with GZYF 11″ 280mm Pair Rear Adjustable Air Shock Absorbers (view on Amazon) or tires to improve suspension and handling.
- How much is a Coolster ATV? The price range for a Coolster ATV is between $450 and $1,700, depending on whether it is a 110cc, 125cc or 150cc. Some trader sites even give discounts on top of the already low retail price of these babies plus gifts and free shipping!
- How do you fix a Coolster ATV that is shifting in and out of gear? Your problem may be due to the drive belt slipping, a seal leaking, or a bad belt. For you to find out what is specifically causing the problem, you need to remove the CVT cover on the left side of the engine and check any oil or grease residue. If there is none, you may need to make a linkage adjustment from the shift handle.
- How do you adjust the clutch on a Coolster ATV? First, you remove the engine cover and unscrew the clutch top via the four screws. Next, you release the washer lock using a flat screwdriver. Then, remove the nut and two washers and finally the clutch. If you want to install a new clutch, follow these instructions backward.
- How do you start a Coolster 3050C ATV? You need gas, a spark, and a cylinder compression to work seamlessly to start this ATV. Otherwise, something is probably wrong with either one of these components. See if the fuel line, spark plug, and starter motor or fuse check out.
Coolster was a concept of four enthusiasts who wanted to share their amazing outdoor adventures with others. They wanted more Americans to experience the thrill of off-roading without having to spend a fortune in obtaining a four-wheeler. What started as a small local shop selling electric seated scooters in the suburbs of Los Angeles has grown to be a top distributor of Chinese ATVs, dirt bikes, and go-karts in the U.S.
Conclusion – Coolster ATV Reviews
Coolster ATVs are fantastic options if you are on the hunt for an affordable yet quality sport quad. It’s loaded with safety features and is as exciting to ride as it is kid-friendly. Whether it’s the 110cc, 125cc, or 150cc model, this four-wheeler fits the bill, is durable, easy to customize, and is an excellent sport quad for both children and adults. If you want a workhorse that doesn’t sell cheap and rides like a dream, then the Coolster ATV is for you!
Kris is an avid off-roader and outdoor enthusiast who loves to brave the elements and take on challenging terrain. He also enjoys sharing his passion and knowledge with others so that they, too, can appreciate the ride.